- Let yourself free (relax) and lower your shoulders.
- Let your chin free and utterthe sound EM, making sure that yourteeth do not touch.
- Start jaw "jogging", i.e. start to move your jaw gently up and down and left-right, making sure that your teeth do not touch.
- 0pen and close your mouth. Bring yourjaw forward as much as you can and then backwards. Repeat the same movements to the left and right.
- Repeat the same movements of step 4, but providing resistance with your hand, i.e. with a closed fist at the base of the jaw, open your mouth with your thumb in front of the jaw during the movement of the jaw forward, and with your palm on the side of the jaw during the left - right movement of the jaw. At the end point of each exercise, keep your jaw in this position for a few seconds.
- 0pen your mouth and put the tips of your fingers on the cutting surface of the front bottom teeth. Press your ﬁngers downwards and simultaneously try to close your mouth, providing resistance with your fingers. Continue the effort for a few seconds.
- Open your mouth wide. Stretch it as much as you can by pushing your fingers, placed on the front top and bottom teeth, in opposite directions.
- Check in the mirror if, when you open your mouth, the mandible moves vertically, without deviating to the right or left. Check the same when you move the mandible forward. Try to avoid movements that cause a clicking sound in the temporomandibular joint.
- After finishing the exercises, rest on your back for 5-15 minutes. Relax and let your jaw free, uttering the EM sound. Your top and bottom teeth should not normally come into contact, apart from when eating.
- Brush your teeth and rinse well.
- Place a small amount of whitening agent in the inner side of the splint, for each tooth to be whitened. The splint must be completely dry.
- Leave the splints in your mouth for one (1) hour, wiping any excess amount and saliva accumulating in your mouth with a tissue.
- After one (1) hour, remove the splints, rinse and dry them, so that they are ready for the next use.
- If you need to wear the splints for two (2) hours, at the end of the first hour place more whitening agent in the splints, washing and drying them after the previous use.
- If you note sensitivity during the first days of whitening, do not worry, as it is normal for some teeth. Sensitivity is treated by application of fluoride to the dry bleaching splint for 4 minutes. Remove the splints with the fluorine and do not rinse or eat anything for half an hour. Fluorination may be done just before whitening. If the sensitivity is intense, stop the whitening for a day and continue the next day. In case of very intense sensitivity and for any queries, please contact us.
- To maintain the pleasing result, you should repeat the whitening for about a week in four (4) to six (6) months, depending on your habits.
- During whitening, you should cut down on smoking and foods with strong colour pigments (tea,coffee, red wine, etc.)
WHY IS ENDODONTIC TREATMENT PERFORMED?THE PURPOSE OF ENDODONTIC TREATMENT IS TO PRESERVE THE TOOTH IN THE MOUTH AND AVOID ITS EXTRACTION, WHICH IS THE ONLY OPTION WHEN THE NERVE OF YOUR TOOTH IS INFECTED OR NECROTIC.
WHEN CAN A TOOTH NERVE (PULP) BECOME INFECTED OR NECROTIC?A TOOTH NERVE MAY BE INFECTED BY GERMS, BECOME INFLAMED AND NECROTIC AND CREATE AN ABSCESS IN THE BONE OF THE JAW. THE MOST FREQUENT CAUSES ARE EXTENSIVE TOOTH DECAY , DEEP FILLINGS, TOOTH TRAUMA DUE TO IMPACT, FRACTURED TEETH AND PERIODONTAL DISEASE.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF PULPITIS?.THE SYMPTOMS OF PROBLEMATIC TOOTH PULP VARY FROM MOMENTARY TO PROLONGED PAIN, MILD TO INTENSE PAIN AFTER EXPOSURE TO COLD OR HEAT, CHEWING OR BITING OR NO SYMPTOMS.
HOW IS THE TREATMENT DONE?AT F IRST , TREATMENT IS AIMED AT REMOVING ALL THE BACTERIA AND THE INFECTED PULP FROM THE TOOTH AND, IN THE SECOND STAGE, AT HERMETICALLY SEALING THE ROOTS WITH A SOLID MATERIAL TO AVOID FUTURE PROBLEMS. ONCE ENDODONTIC TREATMENT IS COMPLETE, THE INFECTION IS RESOLVED BE TREATED AND THE TOOTH CAN BE SAVED.
WILL IT HURT DOCTOR?THE TREATMENT IS PAINLESS AND IS ALWAYS DONE UNDER LOCAL ANAESTHESIA. AFTER SOME POINT OF THE TREATMENT, THERE MAY BE MILD OR PERSISTENT DISCOMFORT AND THE TOOTH MAY BE A BIT OR EVEN VERY SENSITIVE WHEN CHEWING OR WHEN TOUCHED BY THE TONGUE. THIS CONDITION IS TRANSIENT AND USUALLY RESOLVES BY TAKING ANTI INFLAMMATORY DRUGS AND WITH WARM SALINE MOUTHWASHES. IN RARE CASES, SWELLING MAY OCCUR; IN THIS CASE, YOU SHOULD CONTACT THE CLINIC FOR A PRESCRIPTION OF ANTIBIOTICS AND EVALUATION OF THE PROBLEM.
DOCTOR, I HAVE HEARD THAT TEETH WITH ROOT CANAL TREATMENT BREAK. IS IT TRUE?ENDODONTICALY TREATED TEETH ARE USUALLY EXTENSIVELY DESTROYED AND ARE THUS VERY EASY TO BREAK WHEN CHEWING. THEREFORE, WE NEED TO PROTECT WHAT IS LEFT OF THE TOOTH WITH A CROWN (CASE), WHICH IS LIKE THE HELMET THAT PROTECTS A MOTORCYCLIST'S HEAD SO THAT IT DOES NOT OPEN UPON IMPACT OR A PORCELAIN ONLAY CAN BE PLACED. USUALLY, THE TOOTH'S DESTRUCTION IS SO EXTENSIVE THAT A POST EEDS TO BE PLACED WITHIN THE ROOTS TO ALLOW THE RESTORATION OF THE TOOTH. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR THE TOOTH TO BE RESTORED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER THE END OF TREATMENT, AS THE RISK OF FRACTURE INCREASES WITH TIME.
DOES THE ROOT CANAL TREATMENT COST INCLUDE THE COST OF THE TOOTH'S RESTORATION WITH A BUILD UP, A POST AND A CROWN?THE COST OF THE TOOTH'S RESTORATION AND THE COST OF THE CROWN ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE ENDODDONTIC THERAPY COST. ALL THESE PROCEDURES REQUIRE TIME, PATIENCE AND EXTREME CARE AND SKILL. THE COST TO SAVE THE TOOTH MAY SEEM HIGH AT FIRST. HOWEVER, IF COMPARED WITH THE BIOLOGICAL COST OF EXTRACTING THE TOOTH AND GRINDING TWO ADJACENT HEALTHY TEETH AND THE COST OF A TRANSITIONAL THREE-UNIT BRIDGE, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THAT THE PRICE FOR SALVAGING YOUR OWN TOOTH IS JUSTIFIED.
Usefulness of splintsSplints are used for the treatment of muscular disorders and in general disorders of the temporomandibular joints The main reason for using splints is to stabilize the occlusion of teeth, relieve temporomandibularjoints, relax the mastication muscles and the region in general and finally prevent the destruction of teeth in cases of bruXism.
Using the splintSplints can be used for periods that may vary from a few weeks to several months, depending on the type and form of the symptoms. They are used mainly during the night, but sometimes it may be necessary to use them during the day.
Any grievances or problemsAlthough the splint is carefully constructed, it may create minor problems when first used. In other words, you may feel the splint as bulky and thick in the first 24 hours, while feeling some nausea or increased salivation. Because of its construction, the splint can press on some teeth leading to a feeling of numbness, mainly in the morning after sleep. It may also cause you to unconsciously bite your cheeks. All these above problems disappear when you start to get used to the splint. If, nevertheless, the problems remain even after the ﬁrst days and are so intense that you cannot use the splint, you should inform the dentist, who will adjust it properly. When we withdraw the splint in the morning, we may feel that something strange is happening when we close our teeth, as if they cannot fit together as before. This is not strange and should not worry or concern us, because it is the result of the relaxation that has begun in the local muscles. Usually, splint treatment is accompanied by a slight adjustment of the occlusion of teeth, for its better stabilisation.
Splint careThe use of splints requires meticulous oral hygiene. Before the splint is placed in the mouth, the teeth should be thoroughly brushed. Although the splint is not used during meals, various germs nevertheless always cling to it. Therefore, the splint should be cleaned daily with a toothbrush and toothpaste. When not in use, it should be kept in water.
- A. WOUND CARE
- 1. BITE FIRMLY ON THE GAUZE PLACED IN YOUR MOUTH FOR ABOUT AN HOUR, THEN REMOVE IT GENTLY.
- 2. DO NOT SMOKE FOR 12 HOURS, AS THIS WILL CAUSE BLEEDING AND WILL COMPLICATE HEALING.
- B. BLEEDING 1. IT IS NORMAL TO HAVE A LITTLE BLEEDING FROM THE WOUND. YOU MAY FIND A BLOOD STAIN ON YOUR PILLOW IN THE MORNING. DO NOT SPIT OR SUCK THROUGH A STRAWAS THIS CAUSES BLEEDING. IF BLEEDING STARTS AGAIN, PLACE A WET GAUZE DIRECTLY ONTO THE TOOTH SOCKET AND BITE FIRMLY FOR 0 MINUTES. KEEP YOUR HEAD HIGH WITH SOME PILLOWS OR SIT IN AN ARMCHAIR.
- C. DISCOMFORT SOME PAIN IS NORMAL AFTER SURGERY. THE DRUGS WE HAVE GIVEN YOU CAN REDUCE IT BUT NOT MAKE IT ISAPPEAR. TAKE YOUR PILLS WITH A FULL GLASS OF WATER AND A SMALL AMOUNT OF FOOD IF THEY UPSET YOUR TOMACH. DO NOT DRINKALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON MEDICATION.
- D. DIET 1. IT IS IMPORTANT TO DRINK LARGE AMOUNTS OF LIQUIDS. DO NOT DRINK WITH STRAWS, AS THIS CAN CAUSE BLEEDING. 2. EAT REGULAR MEALS NORMALLY ONCE YOU REMOVE THE GAUZE. COLD, SOFT FOOD LIKE ICE CREAM OR YOGHURT ARE INDICATED ON THE FIRST DAY.
- E. ORAL HYGIENE
- 1. DO NOT RINSE YOUR MOUTH AND DO NOT BRUSH YOUR TEETH FOR THE FIRST 8 HOURS AFTER SURGERY.
- 2. AFTER 8 HOURS, RINSE GENTLY WITH SALT WATER (HALF A TEASPOON OF SALT IN A GLASS OF WATER) EVERY
- 4 HOURS.
- 3. BRUSH YOUR TEETH GENTLY BUT AVOID THE SURGICAL AREA.
- G. OEDEMA 1. OEDEMA (SWELLING) AFTER SURGERY IS A NORMAL REACTION OF THE BODY. THIS REACHES ITS PEAK APPROXIMATELY 48 HOURS AFTER SURGERY AND USUALLY LASTS 4 TO 6 DAYS. THE PLACING OF ICE OVER THE SURGICAL AREA (10 MINUTES ON AND 10 MINUTES WITHOUT) OUTSIDE THE MOUTH, CAN HELP CONTROL THE OEDEMA AND CAN ALSO HELP MINIMIZE DISCOMFORT.
- H. REST AVOID INTENSE PHYSICAL LABOUR AND EXERCISE FOR 12 HOURS AFTER SURGERY.
- I. HAEMATOMA YOU MAY SEE A SMALL HAEMATOMA IN THE SURGICAL AREA. THIS IS A NORMAL REACTION IN CERTAIN PERSONS AND SHOULD NOT BE CAUSE FOR CONCERN. IT WILL DISAPPEAR IN 7 TO 14 DAYS.
- J. TRISMUS AFTER SURGERY, YOU MAY EXPERIENCE CONTRACTION OF THE MUSCLES OF THE JAW AND DIFFICULTY IN OPENING YOUR MOUTH. THIS IS NORMAL AND WILL IMPROVE IN 5 TO 10 DAYS.
- K. SUTURES IF YOU HAVE SURGICAL SUTURES, YOU WILL NEED TO REVISIT US FOR THEIR REMOVAL IN APPROXIMATELY10-15 DAYS.
- L. CALL THE DENTIST IF:
- 1. YOU FEEL EXCESSIVE DISCOMFORT, WHICH YOU CANNOT CONTROL WITH PAINKILLERS.
- 2. YOU EXPERIENCE BLEEDING, WHICH YOU CANNOT CONTROL BY BITING ON A GAUZE FOR 30 MINUTES.
- 3. THE SWELLING CONTINUES TO EXPAND AFTER THE THIRD DAY POST SURGERY.
- 4. YOU FEEL YOU HAVE A FEVER.
- 5 YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.